Riding At The Walk
1. We should always mount our horse from which side?
c) It doesn’t matter
2. The first thing you should do when about to mount is what?
a) Get a hold of your reins
b) Put your foot in the stirrup
c) Check your girth
d) All of the above
3. How tight should your reins be?
a) Loose, held close to the buckle
b) Contact should make a straight line from the bit, to hand to elbow
c) As tight as possible
4. Your elbow should be
a) Bent and close to your sides
b) Not bent at all, your arms should be straight
c) Whatever is most comfortable for you
5. Your feet should sit where in your stirrups?
a) On the ball of your foot
b) Up against the heel of your boot
c) You should just barely have your foot in
6. Your position on the horse should make a straight line from your _____ to _____ to _____? (Fill in the blanks)
7. Where should you be looking when you are riding?
a) Ahead to where you are going next?
b) Down at your horse
c) All over to check your surroundings to see what is going on
8. How would you describe a proper grip on the reins?
a) Clenched fist
b) Very loose
c) Firmly closed so you can control the rein length
9. Where do your stirrups fall if they are at the proper length?
a) Right below your boot
b) At the ankle bone
c) An inch above the ankle bone
10. Your knees should do what as they rest on the knee roll of the saddle?
a) Pinch tightly to hold yourself down
b) Rest gently to provide
Stay Tuned For Answers
Stay tuned for answers to this pop quiz! Most likely a second pop quiz will come up here sooner or later!
If you aren’t sure of any of these answers you should be able to review over the past returning rider boot camp posts and refresh your memory.